Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 02:24:52 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        ircadmin@shellnet.co.uk (Steven Fletcher)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EDQUOTA and selected editor.

+-----[ Steven Fletcher ]------------------------------

| I commonly use joe (Joe's Own Editor) as my default editor, and I have set
| the EDITOR variable to be joe.
|
|      The editor invoked is vi(1) unless the environment variable EDITOR
| specifies otherwise.

If you are running sh, zsh, bash, ksh you need to export the variable
i.e. export EDITOR

if you are using csh or derivatives, then you should use setenv EDITOR joe
rather than assigning variables directly.

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233