Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 12:52:51 +0000
From:      James Raynard <jraynard@demon.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging of various /usr/src/contrib things to -stable; wanted?

On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 03:44:44AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Just to follow-up to myself here: I didn't word that quite correctly
> and now it sounds like I'm picking specifically on gawk.

No offence taken :-)  However, I'd advise against importing gawk into
-stable as it doesn't work properly (the cnews expiry scripts break it,
for example) and the GNU maintainer hasn't replied to my bug report of
3 months ago.

Generally - well, I suppose the main "selling points" for putting code
under src/contrib were to help importing new versions and feeding diffs
back to the authors.  Have these happened and are they something we're
likely to want to do in -stable?  Unless the answer to both those
questions is a clear yes, I'd vote against it.

James