Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:09:30 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, eivind@yes.no
Subject:   Re: devfs persistence

>With DEVFS, no such 'safety' margin exists, since the device is created
>possibly with the administrator realizing it.

I've already proposed a way to deal with this - you tell the system
not to show new device arrivals unless they have explicit backing store
(i.e. the administrator has acknowledged that the device exists and has
proper permissions).  Most people would not be interested in running
this way, but for the security conscious, you can ask to get the old
"MAKEDEV like" behavior back.

--
Justin