Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:53:44 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ash Yadav <ash@fxsing.ml.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ash Yadav <ash@tekkie.sg.ml.com>
Subject:   Re: PPP slowing down telnet on HAN.

On Mon, 16 February 1998 at 19:01:07 +0800, Ash Yadav wrote:
> Folks,
> Just got my FreeBSD gateway to talk to my ISP and connect with my win 95 machine. There
> are a few strange things I have noticed and would like some help on ...

Your text is up to 90 columns wide.  This is difficult to read,
especially for people using conventional terminals.  I've reformatted
to less than 80.

> 1. Whenever the modem is connected to my ISP a telnet to the freeBSD
>    machine from my win95 machine takes a very very long time ( 5 mis
>    plus ). The pings show a roundtrip time of 200 ms. Can someone pls
>    shed some light on why PPP is causing this.

There's no reason to believe that it's PPP.  Does "5 mis" mean 5
minutes?  That would be a long time, but I still suspect that the
reason is that the reverse lookup of the domain name is timing out.
What's the name of your Microsoft machine?

> 2) I also find that modem seems to wake up and dial out on its
>    own. I think its sendmail but how can I be sure and how do I tell
>    sendmail to check only once a day for email.

sendmail doesn't poll for mail.  If you have outgoing mail, you
probably want to send it immediately, but if not, you can change the
parameters to sendmail in /etc/rc.conf.  By default it's

  sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"         # -bd is pretty mandatory

This tells sendmail to run through the queue every 30 minutes
(-q30m).  If you want to do it once a day, change it to:

  sendmail_flags="-bd -q24h"         # -bd is pretty mandatory

I don't believe this is your problem, though.  This is probably DNS
again.

> 3.  I would like the modem to fail after 3 retries to connect. By
>     default it seems to try abt 10 times. Is there a setting I can
>     tweak to change this redial.

Yes.  Check the man page.  You don't say what kind of PPP you're
running, so I can't give details

> 4) How do I get my modem to terminate my connection on demand.

Run user PPP interactively.  I don't know why you would want to do
this.

> It now waits for the default 300 second timeout before it drops the
> line .

A better approach would be to change the timeout to something more
appropriate.

> I'd also like to add that the PPP stuff was fairly easy to setup. I
> was quite surprised that I got my modem setup and connecting to the
> ISP in abt a half hour. I am truly impresed by FreeBSD . Kudos to
> the freeBSD gang.

Glad to hear it.

Greg