Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:40:02 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 03:47:32AM -0800, Studded wrote:
> Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> [lots of snippage]
> >         A newbies mailing list might be a good idea--the question that
> > arises is who's going to staff it?  It seems Sue has sort of been
> > drafted....I think it will be a fairly demanding project.
>
> 	Projects like this tend to go better with a group of people to share
> the load. I'd be more comfortable with a small set of individuals
> handling leadership for the new list personally. That way people who
> aren't comfortable with a particular strong personality in a leadership
> role will feel more comfortable about participating.

It'd be nice to see those people emerge from the newbies group itself, but
it'd be even nicer if newbies who could handle sharing some of the load
would come forward in advance. I'm not holding my breath.

> >                 4) Finally, there's irc.  On what I think is called EFNet
>
> 	That's the largest IRC network, and one of the more chaotic ones.

Now I don't feel so bad about spending an evening last week trying in vain
to find and attend a meeting that was being held there :-)

> > IRC is of course always
> > problematic, but when it works, it works very well indeed.)
>
> 	Well, I like to think so. :)  There is a #freebsd channel on dalnet
> that is usually staffed and has a good crew of friendly people. If

People say things like that to me all the time, but if you're not into IRC
it's baffling. I've never been sufficiently motivated to read through all
the jargon and tricks in order to learn how to use it properly, but I'd
encourage any moves to provide help to IRC-loving newbies. Information about
how to access help through IRC is one of the things a newbies list could
provide.

Doug, I've read your next email and it seems you're still catching up with
the discussion and throwing comments in while the ideas are fresh. That's
fine, but it might be a little early to respond to them.

Let me just clarify that I'm not trying to solve all support problems, or
all newbies problems. I'm trying to focus on one thing. If the discussion
leads people to want to work on other things that's great, but I'm not going
to have time to be sidetracked.

I don't think anyone needs to feel threatened by the prospect of newbies
taking over, obscuring the existence of others, sucking up all the resources
for their own purposes, preferring the company of their own kind, or telling
everyone else what others should want and deserve. Even newbies can see that
there is a place for everyone if and only if we all appreciate our diversity
and cooperate to achieve common goals. Give them a safe forum where they can
be proud of what they are and you might be pleasantly surprised to see what
they become.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-