Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 10:57:59 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More problems with new slice code

> > Actually, I've always wondered by MAKEDEV sits in /dev--of course,
> > there is now a considerable tradition for it, but doesn't it make
> > more sense to split it into a standard utility, "makedev", which
> > lives in /sbin, plus a standard-but-modifiable database which lives
> > in /etc called "devtab" and "devtab.local" or whatever?
>
> Makedev will (god willing) not be a standard part of the system in 3.0;
> device nodes will appear and disappear by magic.
>
> (I am, incidentally, not kidding.)

Kind of like boot -r under Solaris...  Right?  Or will these device
nodes appear when a new kernel is built, like DEC UNIX?

If this is done automatically without a SysAdmin being aware, e.g.
asking via an option, like Solaris, or installing a new kernel, like
DEC UNIX, won't this cause some confusion?

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca