Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:15:35 -0800
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stty erase ^H ?

< Response to people proposing making ^H some kind of default, I'm not
sure what because I already have to install several files to properly
extripate it.... >

I would like to propose the following contrarian notion:

Make the key in the upper right hand corner of the alphanumeric
portion of the typical PC keyboard emit a ^? or \177 or whatever is
necessary to match some level of vtXXX or xterm compatibility.

Why?

If one wants to use emacs or tcsh under FreeBSD and get the full
benifit of meta keys (esp. to do meta-delete), one has to install a
new key map, fix termcap and jump through another hoop or two (details
escape me now).

Note that the above cannot be done by users; administrative
(i.e. root-password-level) intervention is necessary.

However, if one were to implement my proposal, the emacs users in the
world would be happy AND nobody else would notice anything!

Who cares (except emacs users) what character code is emitted when you
press the variously labeled key in the upper right corner of the
alphanumeric region of the PC keyboard?   As long as it properly
interacts with your terminal setting to cause the character to the
left of the cursor to be DELETED, everything is fine!

So to summarize, setting the <-- key to produce a delete character
will make many people happy and will not inconvenience others.

-Fred Gilham    gilham@csl.sri.com