Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:54:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        belkovic@albert.osu.cz (Josef Belkovics)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip forward-protocol udp 170

> It is generally a bad idea to use something like then FreeBSD. But I need
> forward _urgently_. I have 'skywalker' - microwave equipment. It is a
> bridge and hasn't ip. According users bridge has troubles, but I can't
> manage it, because bridge is behind FreeBSD router. The remaining
> 'skywalkers' are behind cisco router and therefore I see them. (Management
> utility for 'skywalker' runs on novell.)
>
> Analogous there is necessity to forward broadcast (?) for wins, browser
> dhcp etc. services under nt, w95.

DHCP forwarding is done by DHCP proxy (see the RFC).

I imagine WINS would be done via browse master (which you could get by
running the most recent SAMBA code on FreeBSD), so it would not be
forwarding, technically.

What other UDP packets are you trying to forward?  Most likely whatever
they are, they should be seperaly proxied and/or agregated by a proxy
service (eg: the WINS browse master example, above).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.