Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: misc/6276: Can't connect to www.FreeBSD.org

The following reply was made to PR misc/6276; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: ehm@cris.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:36:41 -0600 (MDT)

 On Sat, 11 Apr 1998 ehm@cris.com wrote:

 > My home office has three systems: and Indy running IRIX 6.2, an
 > i586 running FreeBSD 2.2.5, and an i386 also running FreeBSD 2.2.5.
 > All three systems are connected via ethernet.  The i386 serves as
 > gateway to the internet using a 28.8K modem and the user PPP software
 > package configured for demand dialing.  Both the Indy and the i586
 > can route TCP/IP traffic through the gateway onto the Internet.
 > I have Netscape Communicator version 4.04 for the Indy and Netscape
 > Communicator version 4.05 for the i586.  Everything works fine on
 > both systems until I try to reach the URL "http://www.freebsd.org".
 > The Indy system has no problem reaching the FreeBSD web site.
 > However, when I try to reach the same site with the i586 running
 > FreeBSD 2.2.5, I get the following error from Netscape:

 This is almost certainly due to a broken router or router config not
 sending ICMP can't fragment errors, since both www.apache.org and
 www.freebsd.org have path MTU discovery enabled.

 The probable reason why the Indy works is because it probably doesn't
 support PMTU-D so it advertises a MSS of something like 536 so the server
 doesn't try sending segments larger than that.

 Most likely, either ICMP is being filtered somewhere near you, or a router
 where there is a MTU change is using a private (RFC-1918) address which is
 getting filtered.

 See http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/mtu/ for a description of PMTU-D and
 how it can be messed up.

 Without specifics about the addresses of the machines you are trying to
 connect to, I can't look to see where it appears the problem is, but this
 is the most likely explaination.