Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:36:56 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/6332: time.h doesn't compile with -traditional

On Apr 17,  9:30pm, Bruce Evans wrote:

>  > It's too late?  I didn't know changes were limited by the calendar :-)
>  >Granted, it may be too late for 2.2.6 (certainly) and likely even 3.0,
>  >but what about future versions?
>
>  ANSI C has been standard for about 10 years now.  BSD4.4 never fully
>  supported K&R 5 years ago (it requires separate libraries compiled
>  with -traditional for compatibility ...), so why should we start now?

Couldn't agree more, all new code should use

	int main(int argc, char** argv)

instead of

	int main(argc, argv)
		int	argc;
		char	**argv;

IMO.

We should also be investigating the usefulness of some of the
features of the C++ programming language.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.        finger njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk for PGP key
FreeBSD: Turning PC's into Workstations, www.freebsd.org