Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:41:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        Phil.Wang@wizeup.com (Phil Wang)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: Kernel not support CD-ROM

In a previous message, Phil Wang said:

> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM Bigfoot TX4.0AT>
> wd0: 3832MB (7849170 sectors), 8306 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc1 not found at 0x170
> wt0 not found at 0x300

Here are the pertinent lines, you'll note that wcd0 isn't there. Also, wdc1, the
second IDE controller doesn't exist.

What is the CD-ROM connected to? Is it slave on the primary controller (wdc0)?
Perhaps it's on a sound card's interface. That's probably a different beast.
If not, you seem to have a system problem.

A couple of things to try are, boot from the generic kernel. Does it show up
there? Or, boot from the install floppy and find out where it is on that.

Lastly, NEVER delete the whole mailing list. I'm no genius. I just had a
couple of ideas. ALWAYS, keep the brain trust of the entire list involved.
Especially, Doug White, he is a genius. :-)

--
"Thrust ivrybody, but cut th' ca-ards." ("Trust everybody, but cut the cards.")
   --Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)