Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:02:26 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 03:56:16PM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> > Garrett Wollman writes:
> >     What you Really Want is for each interface to manage its own
> >     allocations.  When you want to send a packet, you ask the interface
> >     for a buffer, and it gives you one of an appropriate size and shape
> >     that it knows how to transmit efficiently.....
> >
> >     A lot of the work is not actually difficult, just tedious....
> >
> > Before anyone spends oodles of time doing this sort of work, has anyone
> > taken the radical (-: step of actually profiling the current network
> > stack(s) to see where the time is being eaten?  Improving the memory
> > access behavior may not gain very much, especially if the performance
> > hits occur in, say, the IP checksum computation (as a random example).
> >
> > Maybe someone has already looked at this and this is just rehashing old
> > news, but it just struck me that some hard data would be an important
> > guide.
> >
> AFAIK, and I am NOT a networking export, we need to improve the sockets
> layer as much as the lower level networking code.
>
> John

Where do you believe there are deficiencies in the socket layer at present?

I *HAVE* done some work in there (for our own proprietary stuff) and might
be able to make some improvements.  I haven't noticed any particularly
"evil" behavior of late, and as such haven't spent time on this.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV