Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 18:11:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM changes broke SYSVSHM?

John Birrell said:
> John,
>
> With a kernel including vm_map.c 1.123, my SYSVSHM tests fail in a
> process that forks. I tried a kernel from Apr 20 sources and that is
> OK.
>
> Are we entering another period of sustained VM instability? 8-)
> Now is not a good time. Is it possible/practical for you to branch
> your VM changes and have a few brave souls follow you down the
> branch to shake out the bugs?

The changes were needed to get rid of the swap leaks.  The instability
is only transitory.  I am working the issues (along with the threads
stuff) right now.  There have been continuing wierd problems with
swap space utilization, and the changes should fix it.

Do you have a copy of your tests that you could send to me?  The
more tools I have to fix the problems, the quicker they'll get solved.