Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 04:26:49 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/ijb - Imported sources

On Mon, May 04, 1998 at 02:23:16AM +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 1998 03:29:39 +0200, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
> wrote:
>
> >Besides which I believe that filtering those banners is harmful in the long
> >run - the $.01 to $.08 you rip the web page owner off each time you view a
> >page without an ad _do_ add up.
>
> Rip off?  NO WAY.
>
> I don't have to view pornography.  I can "filter" it to pervent it
> from coming into my home.  Same principle applies for any other
> information content coming into my home.  I can filter it any way I
> want.  In my home, my right to privacy supersedes any advertisers'
> rights.

What about any content producers rights?  Those are those we are talking
about - the people that make the pages YOU ARE RIPPING OFF.  Those are
individuals that put down work into creating the pages, creating the
content.  Those are the people who put in brain-sweat to write the content
you want to download faster.

The advertisers don't care, one way or the other.  They only pay per
advertisement shown.

Besides, you're not able to type coherently.  There is no privacy involved.
And you're not allowed to filter content any way you choose, especially not
in the US.  You can't do reverse engineering, for instance.

Eivind.