Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 13:27:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        monachus@arces.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: realloc() error - cryptic little thing

According to Greg Lehey:
> On Mon, 11 May 1998 at 23:03:48 -0600, somebody purporting to be Adrian Goins wrote:
> > just went through the archives of the mailing list and saw all of the
> > requests to get a stack trace on a coredump from inetd with this
> > 'realloc() junk pointer' thing.
> >
> > mine was reproducable until i went into the src tree and recompiled inetd.
> > after reinstalling it and killing/restarting my inetd, it went away.
>
> There's a bug in inetd.  It seems to be related to running low on
> swap, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet.  You don't need to
> recompile inetd, just restarting it will clear up the problem.
>
> If anybody has this problem, please contact me *before* restarting
> it.  I'd really like to find out where it happens.

	Don't think it is swap-related, unless inetd does something
	bizarre.  From my zsh on my 6x86 (256M of swap), I type

	% setenv LANG de_DE.ISO_8859-1

	and thus far always seem the realloc() complaint.  First time.
	On my second try, no noise.

	I'm running 2.2.5 there; just ordered 2.2.6 (with your book,
	BTW :).     Something introduced this bug since 2.2-R at least.
	Since the 6x86 has been up for 8, 9 days I don't think this
	is that serious.  Now that I'm networked (thanks, Doug!) the
	new box is going to be loaded.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix