Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 11:41:02 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        "Greg Rowe" <greg@uswest.net>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM and Adaptec 2940UW Rev E

>Justin,
>
> We finally got a chance to test the Adaptec 2940UW Revision E cards with CAM
>and the problems still exist. Our configuration is a Tyan MB, 2 Adaptec
>2940UW's , 3 - 4.4 Gig Seagate ST34572W drives. OS is 3.0 current as of 05/15
>and CAM-980513. The revision D cards work with no problem, but running bonnie
>or iozone with the Rev E cards produce the following (and a system crash):

I know about one system crash during recovery and have fixed that locally,
but I'm working now to try and reproduce your error.  I have to plead
ignorance to what you mean by rev D and rev E cards.  I have cards with
both rev 0 and 1 aic7880s on them, but I don't know where you are getting
the D and E letter.

This is the card I'm going to work with:

ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 9 on pci0.9.0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

As you can see, it has a rev 1 aic7880.

I have access to ultra-narrow versions of the 4gig Barracuda you're using
(same firmware rev. even), but if this turns out to be a wide problem, I
won't be able to reproduce it here.

>From the debugging messages you've sent me, it's clear that the chip is
hanging up attempting to turn off the DMA fifo, and I don't know why this
is the case.  It would be useful for you to add a printf in ahc_timeout()
that give the contents of a register:

printf("DFCNTRL = %x\n", ahc_inb(ahc, DFCNTRL));

Place it down near the printf for SEQADDR and friends.

--
Justin