Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 09:20:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        gkoller@cs.vu.nl, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Defect list (camcontrol)

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote...
> > $ camcontrol -d -f phys
> > Got 239 defects.
> >
> > This seems to be a little to much. I had expected a few remapped blocks
> > but not 239! Is this something I should worry about?
>
> If these defects include the defects that came with the disk from the
> manufacturer, you shouldn't be surprised. I remember when working with
> SunOS and the format program there that it wasn't unusual to see a new
> disk with a "manufacturer's defect list" which contained between 50 and
> 200 defects, depending on the size of the disk.

	With the above arguments, camcontrol will give you a count of all
defects, both PLIST and GLIST.  The thing to watch is the GLIST, or grown
defect list, since it can change.  The PLIST is set at the factory, and
doesn't change.

	One thing I've though of doing is setting up a cron job that runs
nightly and looks at the GLIST to see if it is any different than it was
the day before.  That might be an interesting way to detect when a disk
starts to go bad.  To get just the GLIST, you'd do something like:

camcontrol -dG -f block -u 2

	That would get the grown defect list in block format (if block
format is supported) for da2.  If the specified format isn't supported,
camcontrol will display whatever format the drive sends back.

	If you haven't already seen it, there is a little program (awre.c)
that is on the ftp sites along with the CAM distribution that will show
whether auto read and write reallocation are turned on for a given disk.
You can then use it to turn on read and write reallocation if they aren't
already on.  I considered making it part of camcontrol, but I decided not
to since I intend to eventually add the ability to edit and display
arbitrary mode pages, like the current scsi(8) utility.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com