Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 98 12:15:17 -0400
From:      Timothy J Luoma <luomat+FreeBSD@luomat.peak.org>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD onto SCSI SyJet?

	Author:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>

> > My real concern is the problem where at the end of the installation one
> > cannot get past the boot manager's F? prompt.... *that* would be yucky
> > when doing an FTP install.
>
> Why would you need this? I installed it to use the entire disk (but remain
> compatible with other OS's), you don't really need booteasy.

Sorry I guess that wasn't as clear to people who aren't me...

I installed FBSD once off a friend's CD-ROM.  After we got done with the
entire thing and rebooted, we got stuck at that point.  The FAQ said:

	2.17. I can't get past the boot manager's `F?' prompt.

	This is another symptom of the problem described in the
	preceding question. Your BIOS geometry and FreeBSD geometry
	settings do not agree! If your controller or BIOS supports
	cylinder translation (often marked as ``>1GB drive support''),
	try toggling its setting and reinstalling FreeBSD.

"reinstalling FreeBSD" was the shocker.... we had to go through the whole
thing again.

I won't need to dualboot in any way/shape or form.  I will pop in the SyJet,
set the  id=0 and boot FreeBSD.  Once I am secure that the SyJet is
dependable enough to do this, I may do it with several different OSes.

TjL