Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:47:10 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   using tcpdump effectively

To trace down why some network based X11 sessions are spuriously failing
I' trying to use tcpdump.

What sporadically happens is that a X session to our Mentor Design Architect
running on HP  is ceased and the connection breaks (we login via rlogin
and start the X client with DISPLAY set to the FreeBSD machine.)

When the connection breaks we see something like 'no route to host'

Could that be caused by denial of service attacks? What exactly is a denial
of service attack?

How could I detect it using tcpdump? Are there other tools to trace down
such a problem ?