Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:41:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@backplane.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS commit privs

   Hey guys!  This is great stuff... I'm starting to get into it though,
   for the moment, I am concentrating on throwing out another rev or two
   of my diablo news system.

   I have a question:  I am life-testing FreeBSD-current on an SMP box
   with softupdates turned on.  This will eventually become our new NNTP
   machine (it isn't a production machine) and is currently running
   pre-production Diablo news feeder / reader code.  i.e. it's exercising
   58GB worth of striped filesystems heavily, running a real-world
   application.

   I am doing this expecting to get crashes and, indeed, I have gotten a
   a couple.  I believe they were all softupdates panics but until the last
   one I didn't have the serial console / debugger hooked up.  I got it
   hooked up and got a crash dump.

   So far I have one really excellent -g compiled crash dump showing a
   'softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling deps' panic via
   getblk->getnewbuf->softdep_deallocate_dependancies->panic.

   (and, btw, fsck worked as expected, finding only bitmap inconsistancies
   and a single partially truncated inode.  I've never seen such a clean
   fsck after a hard crash on a news box in my life!)

   Should I use send-pr to post detailed information on the crash dumps I've
   gotten out of these panics, or should I email Julian directly?  Also, is
   there a partition on FreeFall available for making crash dumps available
   to other FreeBSD committers/developers?  My home directory partition is
   only 400MB or so.  The crash dump is 256MB :-)  I figure Julian and/or
   Kirk could use a gdb'able crash dump to track the softupdates panics
   down better rather then have to depend on send-pr descriptions.

					-Matt

:Welcome, new committer, to the FreeBSD development team!
:
:The following docs are provided to orient you on doing CVS operations
:on the FreeBSD central repository machine.  A basic familiarity with
:CVS is already assumed, though CVS reference information, tutorials,
:and FAQs can also be found at:
:	http://www.cyclic.com/cyclic-pages/books.html
:
:Table of contents: