Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 06:42:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A really hoopy idea for variant symlinks.

> The enforcement depends on the procfs (kernel code) parsing and enforcing
> against "absurd" values.

Like the file system does already? It's just namei!

> I would prefer to put the vast majority of the enforcement in the libc,
> and limit the range of "absurd" to be "anything beginning with a ``#''
> character".

I would prefer to have a single namespace.

> Less work in the kernel means a smaller kernel.

But the kernel's already doing this work, in namei. Let it continue to do
so. What parsing would you need to be doing other than what namei does?

All the system calls you need already exist. They're all already doing
all the parsing that they need to do.

I guess I'm stupid, I still don't see the problem.