Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 01:57:04 +0800 (GMT)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppbus drivers failing to probe vpo under 2.2.5

Ok, I admit defeat a second time.  I've installed the ppb1125.tgz
parallel ZIP support on my 2.2.5 machine, and I've played with every
permutation of the config file I can think of, and I always get the
same result: nlpt and ppi probe fine, but no vpo or sd0.

The hardware is in the exact same configuration that works flawlessly
under Win95 with the Iomega drivers.  If anyone can toss me a clue,
I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks.

    -Michael Robinson

-----config excerpt-----
controller      scbus0   #base SCSI code
device          sd0      #SCSI disks

controller      ppbus0                          # ppbus stuff
controller      vpo0            at ppbus?       # Iomega ZIP support
device          nlpt0           at ppbus?       # printer support
device          ppi0            at ppbus?       # ppbus interface
#device         plip0           at ppbus0       # PLIP support

controller      ppc0    at isa? port? irq 7 vector ppcintr

#controller     ppa0    at isa? port 0x378      # Obsolete
#device         lpt0    at isa? port? tty       # Obsolete
-----end: config excerpt-----

-----dmesg excerpt-----
FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0: Fri Jul 10 00:51:52 GMT 1998
    root@sidewinder.netrinsics.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/TECRA
CPU: Pentium (132.63-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 33685504 (32896K bytes)
avail memory = 30490624 (29776K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=1179 device=0601 subclass=0)> rev 17 on pci0:0
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 69 on pci0:4
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
[...]
ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in NIBBLE mode
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
-----end: dmesg excerpt-----