Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:26:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        bakul@torrentnet.com
Cc:        dchapes@ddm.on.ca, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

>> How on earth will issuing a diagnostic break scripts?
> Consider a script that uses output of another script.  A
> typical shell script that just does its job normally does not
> chatter away on stderr.

Most scripts that I have seen that rely on output use stdout, not
stderr.

> If dmr & ken had wanted warnings they would have added stdwarn
> [warning: that is a joke]

:-)

>> How on earth will issuing a diagnostic make it harder to write
>> scripts?
> Because now you have to filter out (additional) noise.

So, we've now got a script that relies on the stderr of another
script, the latter of which makes symlinks to non-existant files, and
the former of which will break if a line is added.  Have I got you
right?

I will personally buy a beer (so long as it's not an American beer)
for the first five people who can show me current existance of such a
script.  (In other words, a script written during or after this
discussion doesn't count.)  That said, I sincerely doubt I'll have to
buy a single beer.

>> I'm *not* talking about a prompt a la cp -i.  I'm *not* talking about
>> a failure a la trying to symlink over an existing file.  I'm talking
>> about a diagnostic.
> Understood.  I am just pointing out that *any* deviation from
> existing practice can break things.

If you want every utility and library call to behave the same forever,
then stay at the same OS revision forever.  If you don't want
change... don't change.

I realize that it is possibly feasable for such a script to exist.  I
also believe that it is practically unreasonable, and arguably (though
I won't argue it in this thread, and hope that none of you do)
deserves to lose.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--