Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 07:16:09 +0100
From:      Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates, ccd, old drives

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 12:19:50AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> dataout" or similar.  This would not respond to ctrl-alt-del, and,
> though the shells were working in other virtual consoles, they
> could not execute anything, including "reboot". So -- cold reset
> to the horrible fsck screenfulls.

I've been getting something similar.

The machine has a 2949AU adapter, with a very recent current. With
softupdates enabled everything initially seems fine, but doing anything
slightly heavy causes similar symptoms (forking anything takes an
inordinately long time), with much pounding on one of the discs but
little user program activity. It seems horribly repeatable. I did have
systat/vmstat running for one of these near freezes, and noticed that
freevnodes had a very low value (<10).

I suspect I need to tune some sysctl variables, but don't have a clue as
to what.

Possibly unconnected, but very worrying - part of my ppp log appeared in
/etc/motd. I've not noticed any other signs of filesystem corruption.

--
Adrian Wontroba, Stade Computers Limited.       phone:  (+44) 121 681 6677
Mail info@accu.org for information about the Association of C and C++ Users