Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:46:12 -0500
From:      dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /etc/hosts.deny ALL: ALL not working

Could someone give me a bit of advise as to just what it is that I am missing
here?

stumpy 16:41 ~# rm /etc/hosts.allow
rm: /etc/hosts.allow: No such file or directory
stumpy 16:41 ~# rm /etc/hosts.deny
rm: /etc/hosts.deny: No such file or directory
stumpy 16:41 ~# echo ALL:ALL > /etc/hosts.deny
stumpy 16:41 ~# grep fingerd /etc/inetd.conf
finger  stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/local/libexec/tcpd fingerd -s
stumpy 16:41 ~# kill -1 `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
stumpy 16:42 ~# tcpdmatch fingerd enteract.com
client:   hostname enteract.com
client:   address  206.54.252.1
server:   process  fingerd
access:   granted
stumpy 16:42 ~# finger dannyman@`hostname`
[stumpy.dannyland.org]
Login: dannyman                         Name: dannyman
Directory: /home/dannyman               Shell: /usr/local/bin/tcsh
Last login Sat Jul 25 15:39 (CDT) on ttyp4 from 207.229.129.5
[...]

Yes, I _do_ have the tcp_wrapper port installed, yes I experience this problem
on -CURRENT and -STABLE ... it seems that /etc/hosts.(allow|deny) don't do
anything no matter *what* I do to them, and yes I have RTFM 'til my eyes are
bloody ... :<

--
  //       dannyman yori aiokomete       ||  Our Honored Symbol deserves
\\/ http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/  ||  an Honorable Retirement (UIUC)