Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 06:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        dg@root.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rob@perihelion.co.uk
Subject:   'daily panic' reproduction [was re: fsck errors]

 See below...

"Rob McIntyre" <rob@perihelion.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to debug a version of FreeBSD that has been
> ported onto our Helios operating system.
> After running newfs on an ide device, fsck produces errors indicating
> that some number of inodes are partially allocated and others are of
> an unknown file type (shown below). Could you tell me more about
> what these messages actually mean and maybe give me some
> advice on tracking down such file system errors during the fast file
> system creation in newfs.
> Any help would be grately appreciated.
>
> Rob.
>
> R.A.McIntyre MSc,
>
> Perihelion Distributed Software
> Tel: 44 (0) 1749 344345
> Fax: +44 (0) 1749 344977
> http://www.perihelion.co.uk
>

>  PARTIALLY ALLOCATED INODE INODE # 0x68
> +++
> +++ INODE DISK BLOCK ADDRESS = 0x342cd0
> +++
> +++
> +++
> +++ CLEAR? yes
> +++ UNKNOWN FILE TYPE INODE # 0x6d
> +++
> +++
> +++
> +++ CLEAR? yes

 Rob -

  I've redirected this to -hackers.

  But; if you'll look in the mail archives for subjects containing
 "daily panic",  and "freeing free block", you'll see a long running
 discussing of this problem.   Just f.y.i. - a newfs'd partition should
 fsck completely clean assuming you haven't mounted it and changed
 it in any way.

  What you describe is exactly my stand-alone reproduction of the
 problem.  I can write 0xff to a disk partition, newfs that partition
 and then run fsck on that newfs'd partition to find out some of the
 bytes didn't actually make it.  I believe that in a running system;
 this particular bug causes the spurious problems some people have
 seen.

  I don't know exactly what Helios is... but I hope it can help
 find this problem...

	- Dave Rivers -