Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 23:00:43 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FFS questions

> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > The position table and all the optimisations related to second-guessing
> > the behaviour of the disk are now pessimisations in most cases, and
> > should be eliminated entirely.
>
> Ooo...you're going to regret that when you do your VAX 11/750 port! :-)

Thanks, but I've already proven my manhood by lugging an RA81 (in a 4"
cabinet) upstairs myself; I don't need to do it again.  Actually, come
to think of it, aren't surviving storage options for those systems
getting a bit thin on the ground?

For a Q22 system, you've got the RQDX[234], but the old RD54's must be
quite rare now (I had several, all long dead).  The '53 was too small
back then, let alone now.  For Unibus you could do SMD I guess (Emulex
MD21, etc), but they're very hard to get now, and most of the SDI disks
I can think of that are likely to still be alive are going to be of the
variety that lie about their geometry anyway.

Oh, and sysinstall wouldn't fit on a DECtape anyway.  8)