Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 02:21:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, mike@smith.net.au, jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Standardizing a BSD/ELF ABI...

> > It is easy to implement a data-content dependent example of a
> > library that fails the LGPL relink clause because of this.
> >
> > Techinically, one need only increase the size of a statically
> > initialized data area.
>
> Are you sure about this? The appended tarfile contains two
> implementations of a shared library, one with more statically
> initialized data and some variables in different order, besides
> different initial values for all variables.

I meant "non-statically"; sorry.

Please see sited references from DejaNews...

char	x[ 4];
char	foo[ 4];	/* 4 vs. 16 */
char	y[ 4];

initme()
{
	x[ 0] = '0';
	y[ 3] = '3';
	y[ 0] = '0';
	y[ 3] = '3';
	strncpy( foo, "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX", sizeof(foo)-1);
	foo[ sizeof(foo)-1] = 0;
}

> On FreeBSD-2.2.7-stable and Linux (Debian-1.3) this gives correct
> results. I have not been able to reproduce a case where data from the
> library I linked against is used instead of data from the .so file
> that happens to be in place when the program runs. See the 'make run'
> target.

See "__error undefined" and "sys_errlist[]: conflicting type for decl".

You need to create cases that are not resolved at runtime (like sizeof(),
above).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---