Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 08:56:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      HighWind Software Information <info@highwind.com>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, rotel@indigo.ie, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: HighWind products

   On Sep 20,  9:26am, Terry Lambert wrote:
   > > } Subject: Re: HighWind products
   > >
   > > Looks like readdir() is MT safe anyhow.
   >
   > Only if you use seperate DIR descriptors per thread.

   Yeah, thats a good point, I expect this would be the scenario in
   most programs, but I can think of some where it wouldn't.  It means
   that implementing readdir_r() is as easy as wrapping readdir() with
   a lock though.

We tried that. IT DID NOT WORK. We got all sorts of random memory
corruption with opendir(), lock, readdir(), unlock, closedir().

Perhaps the whole sequence needed to be locked?

-Rob