Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 11:32:42 -0400
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>, FreeBSD Small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

> > Again, I fully agree with you - that's also my intention. And I see a
> > Forth -based shell as a means to accomplish it - to glue all these
> > elements together, at the same time giving it flexibility and programming
> > abilities far beyond those of /bin/sh.
>
> I can certainly see how having an extensible shell would be a very
> attractive thing.  But if you expect mere mortals to be able to
> run (and extend) the thing, I think a FORTH-based approach is doomed
> to fail (again).

Not necessarily...  Quite a few mortals know how to code Forth.  I have
enjoyed a fair amount of success over the years introducing Forth to new
programmers.

Anyone who used WordPerfect or bootstraps a late model Sun also qualifies as a
user of a Forth system.

> Why wouldn't something based on TCL be a better choice?  Sysadmins are
> probably more likely to be familiar with it (perhaps due to experience
> with "expect").  It has a pretty reasonable syntax, and perhaps
> a more familair procedural type model.

I can see getting a complete Forth onto the PicoBSD floppy within 8K or so.

We can't do that with TCL.

Forth is considered a procedural language, although there are some
implementations which offer expert systems and object-oriented support.

I'll bet we will find a new set of FreeBSD aficionados created when some
implementation gets released.  See comp.lang.forth for lively discussion.

Forth is very much alive and kicking.  When one is seeking a minimalist
solution, I can't think of a better alternative to assembly code.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jerry.hicks@glenayre.com