Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:43:05 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ada <ada@noether.lab.usyd.edu.au>
To:        jamie@itribe.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Y chromosomes [ Was: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring ...]

> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> > Well, there are also issues with people having multiples of the X
> > chromosome, too.  So a person could have XXY or even XXXY.  Or more
> > X's, but people with a large number of additional chromosomes don't
> > usually survive long.  (Most aren't born alive.)  Someone else
> > reminded me that these (overmany X and overmany Y chromosomes) are
> > known as Turner's and Klinefelter's syndromes, but I've forgotten
> > which is which.
> Multi Y is Klinefelter's.  Did research on it for a biology class once.
> Double Y's tend to be aggressive, and have varying degrees of mental
> retardation (including none).  The genitalia are undersized, and tend to
> be only nominally functional.  The research I did at the time (1984)
> showed that %30 of a random sampling of violent criminals in the prison
> system were YY's.  The suggestion at the time was that improper cell
> splits early in gestation were the cause.

At least 1 X chromosome is necessary to survive.
As a general rule, the more sex chromosomes, the taller the person.

Turner's Syndrome (X0) sufferers tend to be short, have webbing on the neck
and between the hands, infertile, appear to be female but do not menstruate
and have vestigial dysfunctional ovaries.  They also have strangely bent
elbows (which bend at a typical angle of 30-40 degrees)

Kleinefelter's Syndrome (XXY) causes phenotypical maleness.  Individuals
are tall, with long arms and legs, and often suffer from gynaecomastia
(breast development) and infertility.

These usually happen when a sperm/egg brings 0/2 sex chromosomes to the
zygote, due to improper meiosis (splitting of a proto-germ cell to give it
only half the number of chromosomes.  sometimes one extra goes one way.
this is the same process which causes down's syndrome (trisomy 21)).

--
"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a
rat."