Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:16:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, john.saunders@scitec.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q]: Buildworld without secure libs (to use MD5 passwords)

> > Still, even if the new file must stay, it would be nice to know
> > that at least it was the result of someone is steering, instead
> > of being the result of people not communicating.
>
> "Dear Terry, we were here and we waited for you, but you didn't show up.  What
>  happened?  Signed - Jordan & Mark"
>
> This _was_ discussed in -current.  I raised the issue of disabling
> things like kerberos authentication for kerberized binaries and
> setting the default password time.  Discussion ensued.  Code was
> thrown indiscriminately around.  Things evolved and Mark subsequently
> committed the kerberos knob.  The password knob remains to follow.

Are you sure it wasn't discussed on -committers or -core instead?

It's pretty obvious that the "knob" to use is the existance of the
symbol in the shared library.  I know this idea isn't popular, since
a system with a corrupt /kernel is ever so much more likely to boot
than one with a corrupt /libexec/ld.so.1.  Not.

As far as disabling goes -- don't you just say "rlogin -K" instead
of "rlogin", etc.?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---