Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 02:48:51 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

>> > So is sounds like those interested in IPv6 have the go-ahead to bring it
>> > into -CURRENT.
>>
>> No, they don't.  Read what I wrote (and you oh-so-conveniently deleted).
>
>And why not?
>

>For review they were:
>
>    2) that we don't screw any of the existing developers
>
>    1) that we make whatever necessary fundamental advances we can in the
>    network stack before taking on additional deadweight
>
>It is assumed you are working on (1).
>So all that those that care about IPv6 need to do is adhear to (2) above.

   We haven't made any decisions yet on which stack to go with. The KAME
implementation is compelling because of the dedication (to FreeBSD) of the
people working on it. INRIA is interesting because of rumors that it is
somehow "better" than KAME. The point Garrett is trying to make is that
once we decide on one, that leaves the other(s) out in the cold, which is
not a good thing.
   With the above said, I disagree with waiting forever and think that a
decision on this should be made relatively soon (this year). I feel this
way mainly because I want to see FreeBSD more widely used as the basis
for further research in IPv6, and I think having IPv6 as part of the standard
system is the best way to acheive that. I think you'll find similar sentiment
in the rest of core team (minus Garrett).

-DG

David Greenman