Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:41:36 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        john cooper <john@isi.co.jp>, grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: SCSI vs. DMA33..

In <98Nov11.134648jst.21907@ns.isi.co.jp>, john cooper wrote:
>     Just wondering if anyone has any _objective_ opinion on
> the performance of say wide SCSI2 vs. DMA33 IDE drives [running
> on contemporary motherboards].  The theoretical throughputs of
> 40MBs and 33MBs don't tell me a whole lot.  I know SCSI was the
> choice for performance in the past, however I'm curious what
> others are seeing in actual usage these days.

I'm just trying to build a CCD system with two PCI UDMA controllers by
Promise and 4 IBM DDTA 8 GB drives. Given that I often stream over
very large files and that I paid much less than half the money per
Megabyte than for SCSI disks the IDE solution sounds good.

Guess what: While I can use the two PCI cards simultaneously, I can't
do so for the two channels on each card, although they are even two
completely independent chips on each Promize card. Since I don't have
enough PCI slots for 4 cards (and these things cost money) and my
motherboard doesn't do UDMA, I'm stuck with performance like my SCSI
CCD with two Atlas drives. That isn't too bad, but not what I hoped
for.

Maybe it's a problem with our Promise driver? I already contacted John
Dyson, but no response yet. Anyone else can think of a solution?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer