Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:19:59 +0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What we need

How to start the porting process?

Well, we need (I think)

1) Documentation references. Something like "read this, that, and those
documents BEFORE you start coding...." Possibly the docs must be in PDF (or
portable) format, but always (when possible) on the net.

2) The list of all avaible Sparc Box. So you can tell someone else to try to
compile the latest version of your beautiful code 8)

3) A common development environment. To port an O.S. you need another O.S. and
a crosscompiler. Maybe we need Sparc boxes, but you can use an Intel box to
write and crosscompile code. I think the best situation is:

o Sparc Box (ultrasparc, etc...)
o Solaris or NetBSD on the SPARC BOX
o a cross compiler -> gcc I think, because we have to use it when the porting
process will be complete
o the same source code or environment on the dev. machine

More ideas?

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _