Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 10:08:30 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-RELEASE Feedback

     Kudos to those that worked on 3.0-RELEASE.  The install went well, and
I'm in the process of trying to get back set up to the level I was on with
971208-SNAP.

     I've hit a few snags though.  Some of them may or may not be bugs, so
I thought I'd mention them here first (rather than file PRs) and get
feedback first:

   1) lpd stalls

      As with 9771208-SNAP, my "ps" (ghostscript conversion) queue gets
      backed up and doesn't realize it has more to process if I put
      multiple items in the queue.  I still have to "lpc start ps" to give
      it a kick and make it process other queued jobs (which converts them
      from PostScript to Lastjet, and relay them to the "lp" queue).

   2) MAKEDEV doesn't seem to support cd1

         stealth : /dev # sh MAKEDEV rcd1c
         rcd1c - no such device name

         stealth : /dev # sh MAKEDEV cd1c
         [: 1c: trailing non-numeric characters
         [: 1c: trailing non-numeric characters
         cd1c is invalid -- can't have more than 32 cd devices

         stealth : /dev sh MAKEDEV cd1
         stealth : /dev # ls -l rcd1*
         /opt/bin/colorls: No match.

         <Had to manually create them using the numbers from 971208-SNAP>

         stealth : /dev # mknod rcd1a c 15 8
         stealth : /dev # mknod rcd1c c 15 10

   3) cd1 probes printed 10 seconds or so after the console comes up
       to the login prompt after booting.

        cd1 at ncr0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
        cd1: <RICOH MP6200S 2.20> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
        cd1: 3.300MB/s transfers
        cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

      I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it is a little surprising to
      have this stomp on the login prompt.  Are device probes/drivers
      processed in parallel now?  Should these be completing before
      certain system boot-up scripts are processed (rc.local, etc.)?

   4) ldd(1) man page has a ref to ld.so(1), which doesn't exist.

   5) sysinstall nit

      When you ^C to get out of installing packages in sysinstall, it
      prompts are you sure, you say yes, it exits, it doesn't umount the CD
      from /dist.  Future runs of sysinstall won't use the CD until you
      manually unmount /dist.

   6) Had to add IO_WD3 to isa.h to pick up my Tertiary IDE controller

   7) Emacs 20.3 package is broken

     emacs 20.3 complains about
     Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/20.3/leim' does not exist.

     and ediff is unusable:
     Symbol's function definition is void: ediff-convert-standard-filename

     so I've bailed for emacs 19.

   8) The VOXWARE SB16 audio code seems to have gone downhill a bit since
      971208-SNAP.  Samples do play, but I get pops at the start and end of
      playing audio samples (open/close of audio device.  E.g.: cat drip.au
      > /dev/audio).  Haven't tried Luigi's yet, but I don't want to lose
      AWE32 MIDI support.

   9) And the bigger snag I've hit so far I'll put in a separate post.

Randall