Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 10:02:25 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regulated names (was: Crazy Laws)

On Thursday, 24 December 1998 at 12:01:36 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 23 December 1998 at 14:49:25 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>>> I always thought Scandinavia was a free and easy-going place.
>>> I'm not so sure after I spotted this on Teletext...
>>>
>>> MOTHER JAILED OVER SON'S NAME
>>>
>>> "A mother of 14 children was jailed for 2 days
>>> because she refused to change the name she picked
>>> for her young son.
>>>
>>> Norway has strict laws regulating names, including
>>> lists of acceptable first and last names.
>>>
>>> Kirsti Larsen, 46, said she named her son Gesher
>>> after she dreamed the child should be named Bridge
>>> - gesher means bridge in Hebrew."
>>
>> Germany has strict laws on this, too.  They also have strict laws on
>> surnames, and refused to allow my wife (French) to adopt my surname
>> when we married, claiming that the French would not allow it.  My wife
>> got an official statement to the contrary from the French Embassy, but
>> they didn't accept that.
>
> That is unbelievable. To impose such restrictions on their own citizens
> seems authoritarian enough, but to extend it to foreign nationals (I
> assume neither of you have dual nationality),

My daughter does (French and Australian).

> and on the grounds that another country might object, is really OTT.

Right.  The way they see it, they are interpreting the French laws,
which state (after translation through German into English) that a
woman does not gain possession of the surname of her husband, but that
by universal agreement, she uses it (presumably for the duration of
the marriage).  As a result, my wife is Yvonne Koedderitzsch (good
French name, that) épouse Lehey.  In English, she's Yvonne Lehey née
Koedderitzsch.  In Germany, she was Yvonne Ködderitzsch (they can
spell that, sort of).

> Anyway, is your surname not of French origin (Le Hey)?.

No, it's Irish.  County Tipperary, a variant on Leahy.

Greg