Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:21:38 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: split scontrib, was Re: /usr/src/gnu sources

> > > I couldn't find this in the FAQ or Handbook. What am I supposed to do
> > > for the real sources?
> > >

> > No; if you're looking for where all the 'meat' is, see /usr/src/contrib;
>
> Eek. That's a shitload of stuff to download over my pitiful 28.8 line --
> just so I can look at binutils/ld sources.

You don't track the repository?  Go to ftp.freebsd.org and get the
relevant subdirectories (it'll tar them up for you...)

> May I suggest that the toolchain be split out of scontrib? That's still
> not optimal because the gcc part of the toolchain is huge, but it'd be
> better than being forced to get sources for things like awk, amd, bind,
> and a whole slew of other things I'm (and perhaps other people are) not
> interested in. (Might be the person who wants bind/named sources doesn't
> want to be forced to get the gcc sources?)
>
> Perhaps stoolchgcc, stoolchmisc, and scontrib with everything that's not
> in stoolchgcc and stoolchmisc?

Breaking the directories doesn't make any sense; any method of fetching
them already has better granularity (except perhaps CVSup).  If you
want smaller CVSup fragments, talk to John.