Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:45:14 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <netchild@wurzelausix.cs.uni-sb.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nlpt & polling mode didn't work

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 06:51:00PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>> Timing then. nlpt is slower than lpt because of indirection calls. So
>> something must have speedup the machine because nothing changed in nlpt since
>> it was properly working.
>
>??? Just a
>make world
>and a
>make XFree-3.3.3

See the handbook for recompiling your kernel.

>>>To nlpt_pushbytes()?
>>>What am I looking for?
>>
>> Yes and nlpt_write(). You may add something like this for ppb_wxx() calls:
>>
>> 	u_char cc;
>> 	do {
>> 		cc = STROBE_or_what_else;
>> 		ppb_wctr(..., cc);
>>
>> 	} while (ppb_rctr(...) != cc);
>>
>> to be sure ppb_wxxx() are correctly done.
>> And you may add delays here and there to slow down the driver.
>
>What about
>options NLPT_DEBUG
>in the kernel, does this show something interesting too?
>I had it turned on on my machine, but I didn't know to interprete the
>messages.

NLPT_DEBUG is supposed to print debug info needed when the driver was written.
See /sys/dev/ppbus/nlpt.c for the meaning of outputs. You'll have to
had _your_ printfs or change the 3rd party card. Parallel port cards are not
expensive today..

--
nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org