Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:45:56 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD naming

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 03:36:14PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> [KLD module file locations]
> > I was just pointing out that having things in subdirectories
> > is better than having a zillion files piled into a single directory.

> I'm torn between agreeing that it's tidier and disagreeing on the
> grounds that it's much more of a pain to administer.  "Where is that
> damnned module?" "Why am I loading a stale version of saver_foo?", etc.

Perhaps something more along the lines of:

/modules            <- empty, except for directories
        /console    <- console related modules
            blank_saver.ko, daemon_saver.ko, fade_saver.ko, green_saver.ko,
            logo_saver.ko, rain_saver.ko, snake_saver.ko, star_saver.ko,
            vesa.ko, warp_saver.ko
        /devices    <- device drivers.
            joy.ko
        /emulation  <- like linux, fpu, etc...
            fpu.ko, gnufpu.ko, ibcs2.ko, ibcs2_coff.ko, linux.ko
        /fs         <- filesystem related modules
            atapi.ko, ccd.ko, cd9660.ko, coda.ko, fdesc.ko, kernfs.ko, mfs.ko,
            msdos.ko, nfs.ko, null.ko, portal.ko, procfs.ko, umap.ko, union.ko,
            vinum.ko
        /net        <- network related modules.
            if_disc.ko, if_ppp.ko, if_sl.ko, if_tun.ko, ipfw.ko

I think this takes care of everything currently in /modules.

--
Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net> / Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>