Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:16:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
Cc:        John Saunders <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd and vinum

On Sunday, 24 January 1999 at 11:49:05 -0600, Jasper O'Malley wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 24 January 1999 at 11:56:39 +1100, John Saunders wrote:
>
>>> way the documentation calls what I know as a partition, a subdisk. Also I
>>> think the documentation has the slice and partition concepts swapped from
>>> the way everything else on FreeBSD seems to work. For example "Unlike
>>> standard disk partitions, a Vinum volume is not subdivided into slices,"
>>> But I thought is was the slices subdivided into partitions. i.e. wd0s1
>>> (i.e. slice 1) is disklabeled into partitions a b e f g.
>>
>> Where does this come from?  It's not in the current documentation.
>
> It's on http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html, in the "Terminology" section,
> under the definition for a Vinum "volume":
>
> <snip>

Thanks.  That's wrong, of course, and I've fixed it.  In general,
though, as the heading of this page says,

   This description is very preliminary information about Vinum. It
   contains significant errors, typos and omissions, but I don't have
   time to fix it now. When it is finished, I will replace this page
   with the ``final'' documentation.

To this I have added:

   Please don't rely on it for technical details; the information in
   the man pages vinum(4) and vinum(8) is much more up to date.

> I'm a little confused about the terminology myself, Greg. Have you ever
> seen the AIX Logical Volume Manager?

No.

> It's probably the only thing I like about AIX :P If you have, could
> you possibly relate the terminology used by the AIX LVM and Vinum?

I'll try below.  If anybody sees any obvious mistakes, tell me.  I'm
going only on your description.

> For instance, the AIX LVM calls physical disk drives Physical Volumes
> (PV),

These would almost certainly be Vinum drives.

> which are grouped together in Volume Groups (VG).

Vinum doesn't have a similar concept.  VERITAS does: it's purely a
convenience, but in my experience it's an incovenience.

> Each PV in a VG is divided into small disk partitions (default is
> 4MB per partition) called Physical Partitions (PP).

Oh.  This sounds very restrictive.  They'd correspond to Vinum
subdisks, but subdisks can be any size.

> These PPs can be combined from anywhere within the VG to form
> Logical Volumes (LV).  Once PPs are assigned to a LV, they
> correspond to Logical Partitions (LP).
>
> In a standard configuration, there is a one-to-one mapping between a
> PP and an LP.

I think it might be possibly better to say that you combine PPs to
make LPs, and LPs to make LVs.  In this case, a PP corresponds to a
subdisk (but it's less flexible), an LP corresponds to a plex, and an
LV corresponds to a volume.

> Mirroring is accomplished by assigning more that one PP to each LP in an
> LV.

I'm not sure this is stated correctly.  I'd be more inclined to
expect: ``Mirroring is accomplished by assigning more that one LP to
an LV''.  If that's the case, it would be directly translatable to
Vinum terms: ``Mirroring is accomplished by assigning more that one
plex to a volume''.

> Logical volumes, then, correspond to traditional UNIX partitions (what we
> call slices in FreeBSD). You can stick a filesystem on an LV, or swap
> space, or a dump device, etc.
>
> It looks like this:
>
> VG --------
>       |   |
>       PV  PV-------                         -------LV
>                |  |                         |   |
>                PP PP <--- 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 --> LP  LP
>

> The advantage to this, of course, is that you can grow filesystems by
> tacking LPs onto an LV at any time.

In Vinum, this depends on the organization.  It works fine for
concatenated plexes, but not (yet) for striped or RAID-5 plexes.  In
addition, we still haven't got round to telling UFS how to expand a
file system.  But it's all in the pipeline.

> You can also use LVM tools to arrange which PPs are used by any
> particular LV (e.g. so you can stick more frequently used data on
> middle sectors of a physical volume).

Right, same for Vinum.

> Is there a similar diagram you can draw for Vinum, Greg. I'd love to start
> using it myself :)

> Drive  Drive-------                         ---------Volume
>                SD SD <--- 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 --> Plex  Plex

(SD stands for subdisk, of course).