Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:09:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/eisa ahb.c

:> >
:> >  Revision  Changes    Path
:> >  1.5       +7 -2      src/sys/i386/eisa/ahb.c
:>
:> There certainly was a bug there, but your commit made the driver
:> non-functional.  Why not pass your concern on to the author/maintainer of
:> the driver instead of committing something that does not address the
:> problem?  If I had missed your checkin mail, I would never have noticed the
:> bug especially after you cleared the compiler warning without really fixing
:> the problem.
:
:Justin's response is *exactly* the kind of thing that striving for -Wall
:buys us.  We're fixing the warning, but not the problem.

    Bullshit.  You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.  I
    committed the adjustment, but it was plainly suspicious to me that
    I pushed it out to the lists and left it on my hotlist.

    This is one adjustment out of over 800 that I've committed today.  If you
    want to spend the time to go through each and every one of them like
    I have, then you have a right to comment on it.  But otherwise, I am
    not interested in people sitting on the sidelines making reactionary
    ( and completely unsupported) comments about things they have no clue
    about because they haven't bothered to run through what's been done.

:And yes, this happens alot in real software when zealots (no offense
:Matt) think that somehow -Wall will fix all your bugs.  Yes, it is a
:goal to be strived for, and yes Matt has found a number of warnings
:(that although were harmless in practice) were potentially bad.
:
:But, making it a 'goal' is a bit much, especially when it's done with
:very little feedback other than 'this looks bad, should I fix it'
:followed in about 45 minutes by the commit message.  If the author isn't
:paying attention or is offline, the '-Wall' fix goes in, whether it's
:correct or not.
:
:Nate

    This is also ridiculous.  Zealots?  Excuse me?  It's the next logical
    step in cleaning up the code and cleaning up the compiler options
    we use.  It's been outlined in /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.kern.mk for months,
    but nobody's had the time to actually take the step.

    Well, I've taken it.

    I don't know where you are coming up with these ideas, but they are
    just plain wrong.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>