Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:08:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mjacob@feral.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Could somebody please test this patch?

> > which gets mapped to a specific address for Alpha binaries by the
> > image activator,
>
> Fine, then _tell_ me what the specific address is supposed to be,
> if there even really is one.  I know there's a specific address in
> SVR4/i386, but as yet you've given me no reason to think the address
> is wired down on the Alpha.  Just saying it's wired down doesn't do
> anybody a bit of good if you don't state what the address is supposed
> to be.

Do you have a copy of DEC UNIX with a compiler?

Write a program:

	main()
	{
		for(;;) {
			sleep(1000);
		}
	}

And then examine the memory mappings for it.

I can't really *prove* that the thing *never* maps it to a different
location, but I've put loops like that into much more complex programs
and not had it move around.

> > not the crt0.o (that's why you can dlopen from static executable on
> > an Alpha; same for SVR4 and Solaris, for that matter).
>
> As I've told you at least four times in the mailing lists, that is
> misinformation.  I know from first-hand experience (and from man
> pages) that you can't use dlopen in static executables under SVR4.
> And I and others have quoted every variety of Solaris man page to you,
> which specifically say you can't do it.  I wish you'd quit spreading
> it around that you can, because it's utterly false.

Ugh.

There isn't a static "libdl".

You're right.  I screwed up and assumed that the libdl was statically
linked.

Hmmm... you *can* use mmap and libelf to get the offsets, right?  So
it is possible to support loadable code modules in a static binary,
it's just an implementation decision that that's not how dlopen
itself is implemented.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---