Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 02:58:57 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        gsutter@pobox.com
Cc:        pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New CODA release

From: Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:28:48 -0800

> On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 06:00:53PM -0500, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> > Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> > >
> > > Whiner.  You don't like it, go write your own.
> >
> > Ohh.. so everyone that doesn't like GPL is a whiner nowadays...The nice
>
> No, the guy that was whining was a whiner.  The coders of Coda made up
> their minds to go with the GPL.  The whining guy didn't try to
> influence their decision, didn't present new reasons why Coda shouldn't
> be GPLed, but was just bitching and moaning about it.  That's fine, but
> then if Sean wants to call him a whiner, he won't be far off.

Pedro has made quite a few useful contributions to the ports collection,
one of which became a toolchain used in the successful development of
several large software projects here last year.

He's not, by a far stretch, a do-nothing whiner.

I always thought that the negative smiley :-(  indicates a sense of
sadness.  I don't know of one indicating that one is whining.

I'm sad about the CODA decision too and regret that we cannot consider
using it here in a major project underway, per corporate legal counsel.

As far as I recall, there wasn't much opportunity to lobby against the
licensing changes, but you are correct, it *is* their code to license
as they wish.  Their reasons given for the change didn't convince me, but
I doubt they care very much about that either.

Also, there exists an exemption from GPL for grandfathered kernel
code right?

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net