Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 06:03:10 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        MrChevy <captainauto@lightspeed.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which OS to install

> I'm a newbie to UNIX, and was wondering: I have a spare pentium system
> laying around, and am going to set it up fully freeBSD or Turbolinux.
> Which would you personally recommend?

If you ask a FreeBSD user, they'll recommend FreeBSD; if you ask
a Linux user, they'll go for Linux; same for NetBSD, OpenBSD,
BSDI, Solaris, etc.  Obviously, people here think that FreeBSD
is best.  The main reason for considering Linux is its large
user base -- but that's an argument for Win95 or NT and so it
doesn't have much force.

The BSD systems have a much longer heritage than Linux and have
been worked on by a large group of people who have a vast amount
of collective experience, leading to a robust and well-tested
platform.  Linux is basically a (very well-done) student project
that happened to take off because of political factors that have
faded into insignificance in this fast-moving world.  However,
because it's all new and because much of it has been written by
people without much real experience, it's technically inferior
to any BSD system.  (And lots of people will disagree with this
claim.)

> Also, any books and other docs
> that might help me out?

There's a huge amount of documentation that comes as part of
FreeBSD (although you wouldn't believe it if you read some of
the questions that people post here) and that's worth study
(and it will take years to get your head around all of it).
There's Greg Lehey's excellent book "The Complete FreeBSD"
(which you can buy as part of a package including the CDROMs
from Walnut Creek), which is a great starting place for both
overall newbies and newbies to FreeBSD, and there are many books
(of varying quality) in the bookshops.  Without knowing more
about your background, interests and skills, it's hard to say
more.

> I am going to get deep into programming. Which
> computer language would you recommend me study?

Depends on what you mean by "deep into programming".  If you
intend to make your living as a programmer, then you need to
learn a few languages.  If you have Unix (of any flavour) then
you'll want to start with sh, awk and sed; then move on to
Python and C.  If you'll be doing much complex stuff, you'll
eventually need to come to terms with lex and yacc.  If you want
to get the best out of the only real programmer's editor, you'll
learn lisp (and you'll get used to other people who think it's
not the best editor flaming you -- but you won't be bothered by
that while you get ten times as much work done as they do) and
you'll go on feeling happy about the amazing power of all the
tools that just come with any Unix system (or which can be added
to it for free).

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>