Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:28:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net, rivers@dignus.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [jdp@polstra.com: CVSup 16.0 Is Now Available]

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote,
> jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net> writes:
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> > >  You should be able to get off a FreeBSD mailing list by
> > > sending e-mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org.  Put "unsubscribe <listname"
> > > (no quotes) in the body of the message.
> > That, unfortunately, doesn't work for that vmailer-announce
> > list.
> > Majordomo claims not to know about it.  :(
>
> vmailer-announce isn't a list, it's the distribution alias for the
> freebsd-announce list. This goes to show Majordomo is pretty useless
> for closed lists since it's trivial to circumvent its blocks.

This still begs the question why he is getting mail if he has removed
himself from the 'announce' list, even if spammers have figured out
this gaping hole in majordomo. My understanding is that going to
'vmailer-announce' circumvents filters on freebsd-announce, but
shouldn't the distribution of mail, from either, be the same?

jack, you have removed yourself from announce? Or reported problems
doing it, right?