Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:00:50 -0800
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pacbell.net>
To:        "Christopher Michaels" <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, "FreeBSD Questions	" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Help with user ppp and launching a script

>I'm not too sure about answering 100% of your question, but you should be
>able to do something along the lines of the following.
> #1 in /etc/ppp/ you can have a file called ppp.linkup.  Just add a section
>for your isp with the same name as your section in ppp.conf

I believe this is the bit of info I was missing.  So if I make an entry
in the file called ppp.linkup I can have it call a script to do the rest
of the work?  That would be perfict!

Is there a way to run another script when the link goes down?

> #2 i suppose you could write a script that parses the output of the
>nslookup or host commands and then uses the hostname -s command.
> #3 then if you kill -HUP sendmail to reread it's configuration it MAY
>pickup the different hostname.

That's not a big problem.  The system doesn't run X so I should be able
to change the host name on the fly.

Thanks for your help!

-Sean

>It all sounds good on paper but honestly don't know if it'll work in
>practice.  Hopefully this will put you on the right track, or at the very
>least someone else on the list will add more info to this posting.
>
>-Chris
>
>> Is there any way to launch a script from the user ppp after it connects?
>> Here's my problem:

---
Sean J. Schluntz                           schluntz@agames.com
Sr. Office Systems Administrator                  408-434-5804
Atari Games Corporation                  http://www.agames.com

Mountain Dew and doughnuts...because breakfast is the most
important meal of the day. - ???