Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:21:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        vincef@penmax.com, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom.com bandwidth limits

Warner Losh said:

> I'm usually bandwidth limited by the T1 that is my connection to the
> outside world, so I usually see 100-140kBps.
>
> This is about 1000-1400 kbps, which is near the max 1500 kbps a T1
> supports.

approx:
	1500 / (8bits + epsilon)

or
	187Kbytes/sec.

It is not likely to get that much due to protocol overheads, but I
have seen >160KBytes/sec on a good T1.  Don't T1's do bit stealing
for signalling (I forget?)  So, the "epsilon" above should account
for that.

It all depends on type of T1 (T1 is a hardware transport, that mostly
implies some of the upper levels also, but you can have a T1 type
transport for PRI ISDN also.)  Most people do mean the standard T1
when they say T1 though.  Framing (or byte) overheads suck away
bandwdith, and the T1 is pretty good in that area.

Some people don't realize that the T1 is bidirectional also (most
people who work with them do realize this though.)  This is a bit
of a bonus, so you can sustain 150Kbytes/sec inward and outward.

(I just realized that I am also sending this to dennis@etinc.com :-),
 correct me if I am wrong :-)).

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid