Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 23:12:41 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, sos@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GGI

> (changed, subject, list, and cc list... it's almost a new mail! :)
>
> Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I can't do the work for FreeBSD until it adopts GGI, and supports ELF
> >
> > The GGI people have been looking for someone (with commit priviledges,
> > obviously) to do a FreeBSD port, and have gone so far as to put the
> > kernel pieces of their predominantly Linux project *in the public domain*.
>
> I looked at GGI, and I liked it. If my memory doesn't fail me, Soren
> remarked that he was not much impressed with it last he checked it.
>
> What I'd like to know is if the Powers That Be of FreeBSD console
> (Soren and Yokota?) would, present state of the code
> notwithstanding, accept the adoption of GGI once deemed to be
> "ready", or if there is any fundamental flaw with it that makes this
> a hopeless propositon.

Just FWIW, I was approached by one of the GGI group (actually, in the
employ of Creative, who are apparently going crazy right now about
cross-platform support) at Linuxworld.  The GGI folks seem quite fervent
about fixing GGI so that everyone loves it, and they see FreeBSD as
possibly a better place to start getting it right than Linux (which
already has a half-assed framebuffer driver).