Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:15:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disapointing security architecture

Andrew McNaughton writes:
> > I'm also interested. However, if I recall correctly, the problem last time
> > was that nobody actually sat down and did the work. There were plenty of
> > ideas, but when it came to the crunch, nobody wanted to put in the effort.
> >
> > Nick
>
> As I recall,  discussion turned to concerns over who was qualified
  to do the work, which seemed rather silly.  No security auditing
  project is going to be complete.  No auditor is going to be perfect.
  Every bit counts.

Here's an idea.. FreeBSD could pay for a 3rd party security audit
of a stock FreeBSD system. Peter Shipley did this for Whistle
and the InterJet (a "black box" approach). No problems were found
but it was good to know that :-)

-Archie